Holdings for Serials in CPR
Last Updated Date:
August 25, 2011
HOLDING RECORDS FOR SERIALS WITH LOCATIONS IN
CPR AND STACKS PROCEDURES
or periodical title that is held first in a CPR (Current Periodical Room) and
then permanently in a stacks location will have a Holdings record for each
At point of order, the Order Team creates a Holding record
for a new title using only the initial location code. If necessary, other notes can be entered in
the internal note (z) field.
B. When issues arrive, Serials Receiving
staff will create or edit the Holdings record for the CPR location:
- Retention code = 6 (limited)
- ORD STAT=4
- Checkin card
- LIB HAS: "Latest issues retained until bound"
in MFHD 866 field
- Location: specific place (e.g., mlcpr or slcpr)
- VENDOR – as per Order record
- LABEL: g or h
- UPDCNT: i
- Transfer (i.e., de-ref) instructions in note field only
Other fixed and variable fields as normal.
C. Serials Receiving staff will
create a Holdings record for the stacks location only when an item is to be
moved to stacks (whether bound or not)
- Retention code = 8 (permanent)
- LIB HAS: open holdings statement in MFHD 853/863 pairs,
e.g., 1981- or v.1 (1990)-
- Location: specific place
- ORD STAT=1
- UPDCNT: - (dash)
- NOTES & INT. NOTES only as absolutely necessary
- Only the initial location Holdings record exists until issues
need to be transferred to the next location
- Any backfiles received will sent to Catalog Maintenance,
Physical Processing and Repairs
- Title changes: Follow normal T/C procedures, but, for
those titles that need to be bound only the initial Holdings record exists
until issues are bound.
- Cancelled or Ceased standing orders:
- The Order Team or Serials Receiving enters information
- the last expected issue in the NOTE (n) field of the CPR Holdings record,
- changes the ORD STAT to the
appropriate value (2=ceased, 5=cancelled),
- forwards information for
ceased titles to Serials Cataloging so the bib. record may be closed
- At the time of cessation or
cancellation, if there are no issues on the card that need to be bound,
the Orders Team will consolidate the Holdings records for both locations.
As part of this process, holdings statements will be closed and the ORD
STATs will be changed to 2 or 5, as appropriate..
- Serials Receiving ,at point of de-refs, following de-ref instructions adjusts:
- all Holdings Records as necessary
including closing holdings statement and consolidating Holding records
for both locations.
- the ORD STATs will be changed
to 2 or 5 as appropriate.
- Resumed ceased titles:
- The Order Team contacts the bibliographer to see if
he/she wants to order the title. If the decision is yes, the Order Team will
set-up a new order.
- Serials Receiving will create a new initial location Holdings
record, update the permanent location Holdings record, and send the issue
to Serials Cataloging
- Serials cataloging will update the bibliographic
record, as necessary.
- Reinstatements of cancellations:
- The Order Team sets up the order, creates a new
initial Holdings record.
- When items arrive, Serials Receiving will make boxes,
add notes and check-in boxes and label the items and send them to their
This page contains the tags: holdings records, serials, serials cataloging, serials receiving, ordering